The Materials Characterization Lab is a University Core Facility. To ensure smooth operation of the facility and compliance with University regulations, we have established the following set of user rules.
- Users must undergo mandatory training in order to obtain instrument access. Separate training is required for each instrument. Training sessions must be arranged individually with the lab manager. Anyone is eligible to reserve and use these instruments after the training requirements have been met.
- Equipment time must be reserved in advance, using the online reservation system. Users can schedule time only after passing mandatory training (see above). There are fifteen different reservation pages, twelve for the different instruments or processes, and one each for operator assistance, consultation, and line items for non-standard cases. When the instruments are available, reservations may be made at any time prior starting a measurement, though at least one-hour advanced notice is recommended since some instruments need to warm up and stabilize prior to use. At least 24 hours’ notice is recommended if operator assistance and consultation are requested.
- Independent users of the X-ray diffractometers (XRD) are required to pass the Analytical X-ray Radiation Safety Training Course that includes an online portion and in-person session, usually offered once a month. More information can be found at the Radiological Safety Office’s website.
- Cancellation of a reservation requires 24 hours’ advance notice. If a cancellation is needed less than 24 hours before the scheduled start time, the user must cancel their reservation in the online system, contact MCL Staff. It is imperative that users accurately estimate the time required for their experiments when reserving instrument time. If a user needs more time than anticipated, it is the responsibility of the user to respect the next reservation on the instrument. If a user habitually reserves instrument time that goes unused, the PI may be billed for the unused time.
- Each user within a research group will be required to obtain a user account and password for the Cores website and online reservation system. The instrument usage for each group will be determined by tracking the reserved times and lab staff interaction. Use of the MCL and its equipment is not allowed until an account has been established. See the Account Setup page of this website for more information.
- In addition to reserving and operating the equipment, users should notify the MCL Staff if there are any issues with the condition of the equipment and accessories, and any problems that arise during use.
- The billing rate for the equipment, operator assistance, and consultation are found on the pricing page of this website. There are separate rates for University of Utah users (internal) and off-campus (external) users. This rate is set by university policy and is non-negotiable. For billing purposes, usage will be totaled on a per use and no more than a monthly basis.
- Failure to comply with the above rules may result in loss of individual user privileges.
Staff Contact Information